Whitefield Fraternal: South Bay
We meet at Lakewood Village Baptist Church, 709 Lakewood Drive, Sunnyvale CA 94089 (map).
Meetings are normally 11:00 am – 2:30 pm on Mondays. A catered lunch is provided.
We aim to meet five times per year.
A partial list. Prior to 2000, meetings were at Milpitas Bible Fellowship.
- June 2, 2008. Rick Anderson: Loving your enemies in the Church. Rick is the pastor of Faith Community Church, Oxnard, CA.
- March 3, 2008. Tremper Longman: Ecclesiastes. Dr Tremper Longman III is Robert H. Gundry Professor of Biblical Studies at Westmont College, Santa Barbara, CA, and author of the NICOT commentary on Ecclesiastes (Eerdmans, 1998).
- November 5, 2007. Charlie Self: Mobilizing for Ministry: Lessons from the Wesley Brothers. see March 12, 2007 talk for Dr Self’s bio.
- September 17, 2007. Gary Tuck: Jesus and the Law of Moses (Matthew 5:17). Dr Gary Tuck is professor of Biblical Studies and Academic Coordinator of the San Jose Campus of Western Seminary.
- May 21, 2007. Jesse Gistand: Teaching All Nations. Jesse is Pastor of Grace Bible Church, San Leandro.
- March 12, 2007. Charlie Self: Arminian Soteriology. Dr Charles Self was Pastor of Adult Ministries and Adult Education at Bethel Church, San Jose. He is Associate Professor of Church History at Assemblies of God Theological Seminary (AGTS), Springfield, Missouri, which he helped establish in 2007. Charlie’s blog. Audio files (mp3): Session 1, Session 2.
- January 22, 2007. Geoff Volker: Getting Theology to the People of God. Geoff is a pastor of New Covenant Bible Fellowship, Tempe, AZ, and director of In-Depth Studies, Mesa AZ.
- December 11, 2006. Jim Sawyer: Who’s Afraid of the Holy Spirit. Dr James Sawyer was Professor of Theology and Church History at Western Seminary, San Jose; he now leads Sacred Saga Ministries. He is co-editor with Dan Wallace of Who’s Afraid of the Holy Spirit? (Dallas: Biblical Studies Press, 2005). He presented his paper “The Father, the Son, and the Holy Scriptures?” to the 2002 ETS meeting.
- September 11, 2006. Mike Kelley: Preaching with a Broken Heart. Mike Kelley is a pastor of Grace Bible Church, Escondido.
- April 3, 2006. Dr. James Grier: The Emergent Church. Dr James M. Grier is Distinguished Professor of Philosophical Theology at Grand Rapids Theological Seminary of Cornerstone University, Grand Rapids, MI. Audio files (mp3): Session 1, Session 2. PowerPoint slides: session 1 (pdf | QuickTime movie), session 2 (pdf | QuickTime movie). Bibliographies: Postmodernity, Emergent Church.
- January 30, 2006. Dennis Johnson: Preaching Revelation. Dr Dennis E. Johnson is Professor of Practical Theology at Westminster Seminary California. He is the author of Triumph of the Lamb: A Commentary on Revelation (P&R, 2001). Audio files (mp3): Session 1, Session 2, Q&A. There is a marked deterioration in sound quality about 12 minutes into Session 2 (this also affects Q&A).
December 12, 2006. Tremper Longman: Ecclesiastes - cancelled. Dr Tremper Longman III is Robert H. Gundry Professor of Biblical Studies at Westmont College, Santa Barbara, CA, and author of the NICOT commentary on Ecclesiastes (Eerdmans, 1998).
- September 19, 2005. Randy Broberg: The Da Vinci Code. Randall K. Broberg is an attorney in San Diego, and operates Virtual Seminary and Virtual Pulpit.
- May 9, 2005. Dale Liid: The Orthodox Church. Dale Liid, a former Lutheran, is Director of Education at St Timothy Orthodox Church (Antiochian Orthodox), Fairfield, CA, and an Adjunct Faculty member (Hebrew, Historical Geography) of Fuller Northern California (Fuller Theological Seminary).
- March 21, 2005. Peter Wallace: The Old School/New School Presbyterian Schism. Dr Peter J. Wallace is an OPC minister serving as pastor of Michiana Covenant Church (PCA), South Bend, IN. His Ph.D. dissertation at the University of Notre Dame was on “The Bond of Union: The Old School Presbyterian Church and the American Nation, 1837-1861.”
- January 24, 2005. Hywel Jones: Preaching Law and Gospel. Dr Hywel R. Jones is Professor of Practical Theology at Westminster Seminary California.
- November 8, 2004. James Newheiser: Reconciliation in the Church. Jim Newheiser is a pastor of Grace Bible Church, Escondido, CA.
- September 13, 2004. John Armstrong: How to have a Healthy Church (Ephesians 4:1-16). John H. Armstrong is Director of Reformation & Revival Ministries (now Act 3), Carol Stream, IL, and editor of Reformation & Revival Journal (now Act 3 Review).
- May 10, 2004. Tom Wells: A Vision for Missions. Tom is pastor of The King’s Chapel (Reformed Baptist), West Chester, OH, and author of A Vision for Missions (Banner of Truth, 1985).
- March 8, 2004. Robert Godfrey: Calvin and Zwingli on the Lord’s Supper. Dr W. Robert Godfrey is Professor of Church History at Westminster Seminary California.
- January 12, 2004. Jim Owen: The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind. Dr James Owen is professor of history at The Master’s College, Santa Clarita, CA.
- November 3, 2003. Ken Samples: A Friendly Critique of Creation Science. Dr Kenneth Samples is the founder and director of Augustine Fellowship Study Center in Riverside CA, dean of the Academy at Christ Reformed Church (URCNA) in Anaheim, and director of research (now vice president of theological and philosophical apologetics) at Reasons to Believe.
- September 15, 2003. Jack Crabtree: The Language of God. Dr John (Jack) Crabtree is Tutor at Gutenberg College, Eugene, OR, and co-author, with his colleagues Ron Julian and David Crabtree, of The Language of God: A Commonsense Approach to Understanding and Applying the Bible (NavPress, 2001).
- May 12, 2003. James Dennison: Geerhardus Vos: the Man and his Message. James T. Dennison is Professor of Church History and Biblical Theology, and Academic Dean, Northwest Theological Seminary, Lynwood, WA.
- March 3, 2003. Jeff Hargis: Answering the Anti-Christians: Patristic Apologetics. Dr Jeff Hargis was Associate Professor of Bible and Theology, San Jose Christian College (subsequently William Jessup University, Rocklin, CA). His Ph.D. thesis was published as Wrote Against the Christians: The Rise of Early Anti-Christian Polemic (Peter Lang, 1999).
- January 27, 2003. Dennis Johnson and Robert Thomas: Debate: Interpreting the Book of Revelation. Dr Robert Thomas is Professor of New Testament, The Master’s Seminary, Sun Valley, CA. Dr Dennis E. Johnson is Professor of Practical Theology, Westminster Seminary California, Escondido, CA.
- October 14, 2002. James Grier: Bioethics in Postmodern America: A Biblical Perspective. Dr James Grier is Distinguished Professor of Philosophical Theology at Grand Rapids Baptist Seminary / Cornerstone University, Grand Rapids.
- September 16, 2002. Iain Duguid: A Biblical Understanding of Worship. Dr Iain M. Duguid is Associate Professor (now Professor) of Old Testament at Westminster Seminary California, and Pastor of Grace Presbyterian Church (PCA), Fallbrook, CA.
- May 13, 2002. Steve Watkins: Bultmann’s Influence on the Evangelical Church. Steve Watkins is Assistant Pastor (now Pastor) of First Baptist Church of San Lorenzo Valley, Felton, CA.
- March 18, 2002. Doug VanderMuelen & Geoff Volker. Debate: Covenant Theology & New Covenant Theology. Doug Vandermuelen, arguing the classical Covenant Theology position, was pastor of First Baptist Church of San Lorenzo Valley, Felton, CA (now Preaching Elder of Community Baptist Church, Fargo, ND). Geoff Volker, arguing the New Covenant Theology position, is Director of In-Depth Studies, Mesa, AZ.
- January 9, 2002. Ardel Caneday: Perseverence. Dr Ardel B. Caneday is Professor of New Testament Studies and Biblical Theology, Northwestern College, St Paul, MN, and co-author, with Tom Schreiner, of The Race Set Before Us: A Biblical Theology of Perseverence and Assurance (InterVarsity, 2001).
- November 1, 2001. Cecil Siriwardene: The Preaching of Martyn Lloyd-Jones. Cecil is Senior Pastor, Evangelical Free Church of Redondo Beach, CA.
- September 13, 2001.
George Fincke: Liturgy in Public Worship - cancelled. Dr George B. Finck, a Bishop in the Reformed Episcopal Church, was then-Vicar of all Saints Mission, Vacaville (now at King of Glory Reformed Episcopal Mission, Fargo, ND).
- May 18, 2001. James Renihan: Andrew Fuller and Promoting Missions. Dr James Renihan is Director of the Institute of Reformed Baptist Studies at Westminster Seminary California.
- March 14, 2001. James Newheiser: Cooperation in the Eldership. James Newheiser is pastor of Grace Bible Church, Escondido, CA.
- January 29, 2001. Ken Jones: Training Men for Ministry. Ken is Pastor of Greater Union Baptist Church, Compton, CA, on the leadership council of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, and a contributor to the White Horse Inn radio program.
- October 9, 2000. Chris Schlect: Apologetics. Christopher R. Schlect is Fellow of History at New Saint Andrews College, Moscow, ID.
- September 25, 2000. James Grier: Postmodern Culture and the Church in America.
- September 20, 1999. James Grier: Theology, Worship and the Church. Dr James M. Grier is a Professor at Grand Rapids Baptist Seminary (now Grand Rapids Theological Seminary).
- January 14, 1999.
- May 13, 1998. Phil Johnson: John Gill, Charles Spurgeon and the English Baptists: The rise and remedy of hyper-Calvinism.
Posted by Bernard Bell